Slaughter of the Soul is the fourth studio album by Swedish melodic death band At the Gates , released on November 14, 1995. It was their last album before their eleven-year breakup from 1996 to 2007. Slaughter of the Soul is considered a landmark in melodic death metal and played a major role in popularizing the Gothenburg scene, alongside The Jester Race by In Flames and The Gallery by Dark Tranquility .  The album was recorded and mixed in Fredman Studio , early 1995.
Andy LaRocque’s neo-classical guest solo on “Cold” was widely acclaimed as one of the greatest metal solos [ citation needed ] and guitarist Anders Björler admitted in 2007 that he still could not play it properly. 
“Blinded by Fear” was covered by The Haunted (Composed Largely of ex-At The Gates members) on Their Japanese Version of Their live / double-disc album, Live Rounds in Tokyoand Was aussi covered by Fleshgod Apocalypse on Their Mafia EP. The song also appeared in the game Rock Band 2 as downloadable content.
Tracks from the album have made appearances in several video games.
- “Blinded by Fear” was made available for download on the Rock Band video game series on March 28, 2008. Later, it was included in the game’s ” Metal Track Pack ” add-on content disc, released on September 22, 2009 in North America. The song is considered one of the most difficult songs in the series to perform on drums, due to its fast tempo. 
- The title track is featured in both Grand Theft Auto IV and The Lost and Damned and Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground .
A 2002 Reissue contained 11 tracks from the original 1995 release of Slaughter of Soul , plus 6 bonus audio tracks. Three of the bonus tracks were recorded, two were demo tracks, and one was a previously unreleased track, recorded during the Slaughter of the Soul sessions. The 2006 reissue contained everything from the 2002 reissue, but also included an additional bonus DVD, which featured a 35-minute behind-the-scenes documentary as the highlight. The 2008 reissue contains everything from the 2002 and 2006 rereleases, plus additional DVD footage-an eight-song live set, recorded in Kraków , Poland on December 30, 1995.
|Rock Hard||7/10 |
|Sputnikmusic||4.0 / 5 |
Reviews for Slaughter of the Soul have been mostly positive. AllMusic ‘s Steve Huey awarded the album “An excellent example of Gothenburg-style melodic death metal, and certainly the band’s best and most focused album to date.” 
Slaughter of the Soul was very well received by the public. You Rate Your Music year the album HAS average rating of 3.75 of 5 based is more than 3,400 ratings,  and is Sputnikmusic the album HAS year “excellent” average rating of 4.2 of 5 based is more than 1,650 ratings. 
In 2005, the album was published in Rock hard magazine’s book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time .  Metal Injection ranked Slaughter of the Soul No. 8 on their list “Top 10 Influential Heavy Metal Albums.” 
All lyrics written by Lindberg; all music composed by Björler, Björler, except where noted.
|1.||“Blinded by Fear”||3:12|
|2.||“Slaughter of the Soul”||3:02|
|4.||“Under a Snake Sun”||3:58|
|5.||“Into the Dead Sky” (instrumental)||Björler||2:12|
|7.||“World of Lies”||Björler, Björler, Larsson||3:35|
|11.||“The Flames of the End”||Björler, Johansson, Lindberg||2:57|
|[ show ]2002 Reissue bonus tracks|
|[ show ]2006 reissue bonus DVD|
|[ show ]2008 reissue bonus DVD|
Writing, performance and production credits are adapted from the album liner notes. 
At the Gates
- Tomas Lindberg – vocals
- Anders Björler – guitar , phaser drums on “Into the Dead Sky”
- Martin Larsson – guitar
- Jonas Björler – bass
- Adrian Erlandsson – drums
- Andy LaRocque – solo guitar on “Cold”
- Fredrik Nordström – production
- At the Gates – co-production
- Noel Summerville – mastering
Artwork and design
- Kristian Wåhlin – artwork , logo
- Absolute Design Associates – additional artwork and layout
- Frequent Form – concept logo
- Studio Fredman , Gothenburg , Sweden – recording , mixing
- Transfermation – mastering
|Japanese Albums ( Oricon ) ||200|
- Jump up^ “Melodic Death Metal” . About.com . 2011-10-02 . Retrieved 2011-10-18 .
- Jump up^ Morgan, Anthony. ” ” The Flames of the End “? – Guitarist Anders Björler wishes to pen the final chapter in the glorious history of Swedish legends at The Gates” . Lucem Fero . Retrieved 1 June 2013 . External link in( help )
- Jump up^ ” ‘ Blinded By Fear’ – At the Gates // Rock Band” . Rockband.com . Retrieved 2010-01-15 .
- Jump up^ “At The Gates – Slaughter Of The Soul Review” . About.com . 2011-09-14 . Retrieved 2011-10-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Huey, Steve. Slaughter of the Soul – At the Gates at AllMusic
- Jump up^ Wendel, Kai. “REVIEWALBUM” . Rock Hard (in German) (RH # 101) . Retrieved 20 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Bartender (January 16, 2005). “At the Gates – Slaughter of the Soul (album review 6)” . www.sputnikmusic.com . Sputnikmusic . Retrieved October 18, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Slaughter of the Soul by Melody Death Metal” . rateyourmusic.com . Sonemic . Retrieved October 18, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “At the Gates – Slaughter of the Soul User Opinions” . www.sputnikmusic.com . Sputnikmusic . Retrieved October 18, 2015 .
- Jump up^ […], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red .: Michael Rensen. Mitarb .: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben go Zeiten . Königswinter: Heel. p. 92. ISBN 3-89880-517-4 .
- Jump up^ Staff writer (s) (March 6, 2013). “8. AT THE GATES Slaughter of the Soul – Top 10 Influential Heavy Metal Albums” . www.metalinjection.net . Metal Injection . Retrieved October 18, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Slaughter of the Soul (Reissue) (liner notes). At the Gates . Earache Records . 2008.
- Jump up^ “ス ロ ー タ ー オ ブ ザ ソ ソ ル ア ア ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ” . Retrieved October 18, 2015 .